Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Who are you?

If I had a dime for every time I have heard someone say, "be yourself".  In the last year I have been trying to reconnect with an old friend, myself.  How would you define yourself?  I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a leader, a daughter in law, a friend, a volunteer, I have many rolls.  I realized about a year ago that I'm not being a very good friend to myself.  I tend to put myself on the back burner and ignore the things that I see myself wanting or needing. All my rolls are very important to me and I take them very seriously.  I enjoy being a mother, is amazing fun. My roll as a wife is one that comes naturally to me and I would rather die then disappoint my husband.  As a people pleaser, I to fit in perfectly to whatever mold a person, a profession, or program I'm in at any given moment.  Sometimes I try so hard to be accepted, and perfect that I loose touch with reality and the reality is that I already am perfect. All I have to do is be myself.  I'm a fun loving person and I have some silly quirks about myself that make me uniquely me.  My style is a good example.  Most of the people in my life dress very preppy, but I do not.  I'm a free spirit and I like to dress myself.  I don't need A&F to tell me how to dress.  I used to think that this was a flaw in my personality.  Lately I have been allowing my free spirit to shine. I was happy to find that the people that love me have been missing my quirky ways and have welcomed them back with huge warm smiles of affection.  It reminds me of a song.... This Little Light of Mine, I'm Gonna Let It Shine. 
Note to self:  If you matter, you don't mind. If you mind, you don't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment